Dispelling myths about flats insurance

Featuring information on your frequently asked questions.

One area which often needs clarification from our Property clients is the communal areas within the block and its contents.

The Insurance policies that we offer as a broker include a minimum of £20,000 for contents for the communal areas. A common question we get asked is “What are communal areas and what would be covered?”

Communal areas are areas within a block of flats or an estate which all residents have a right to use and for which the Residential Management Company or Freeholder is responsible. These include communal hallways, shared stairways, landings, pathways and surrounding grounds.

Some blocks of flat have larger communal areas, both internally and externally where they will have items such as tables and chairs, benches, pictures, rugs and plants which would all be covered under this insurance subject to an insured peril being the cause of a claim.

Another question which we are frequently asked is “What is an insured peril?” An insured peril is a source or cause of damage or loss which is covered by your insurance policy which includes Fire, Theft/Attempted Theft, Escape of Water, Accidental Damage, to name but a few.

For further advise on our Property Policies or for a no obligation quote for your insurance please contact Stephanie Selby, Property Team Manager via the details below.

A-One Insurance Group is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Head office: A-One Insurance Group, Energy House, Crow Arch Lane Ind Estate, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24 1PD

E. stephanie.selby@aoig.co.uk  
T. 01425 486541


Leave a Reply